Please share differences that you noticed. Your differences (2-3) MUST BE DIFFERENT THAN YOUR CLASSMATES.
1. Think about characters, descriptions, plot, scenes, visualizations and quotations.
2. What was different?
3. How was it different?
4. Why do you think the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film?
5. Did this help to make the story better or worse?
Finally...
7. Everyone is a different learner. Did you enjoy reading the story, and imaging the events in your head? Or, did you prefer watching the movie? Why?
8. In your opinion, why was better, the book or the movie? Why?
As always, 20 complete sentences. Write in Microsoft Word, check your grammar and spelling before copying and pasting it to the blog.
Due: Wednesday at midnight.
I look forward to reading your thoughts and insights!
Ms. Suzanne
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete1.) In the text version, they didn't talk about a career day.
ReplyDelete2.) In the movie version, Melinda1/2 they both didn't talk about David was invited Melinda to eat pizza with his dad.
3.) Melinda didn't go to the shop and she didn't meet Mr. Freeman.
I just post it and I will explain later :)
1. In the book, when Andy tries to rape Melinda a second time, she holds a shard of broken glass up to his neck and says "I said no," but never actually hurts him. In the movie, she uses the glass shard and throws aerosol in his eyes.
ReplyDelete2. At the end of the book, Melinda speaks to Mr. Freeman about her being raped. In the movie, she tells her mother.
3. In the book, the high school's mascot changes frequently from Trojans to Blue Devils to Tigers to Wombats to Hornets. Whereas in the film, it changes from Trojans to Hornets to Falcons and later to Wombats.
4. In the movie, Melinda meets Heather on the bus to school, whereas in the book she meets her in the auditorium.
I will be explaining later! :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteby the way Ms. Suzanne, I think you skipped number 6 :)
ReplyDeleteThe 3 differences that I want to share here are these:
ReplyDelete1. Melinda did not retort or say anything to Mr. freeman when she picked the tree from the globe.
2. Someone put a paper said "SQUEALER" at her back.
3. Melinda leaves the message in the bathroom says, "Exchange students are ruining our country"
There are still a lot of differences between movie and text version.
I think the characters all have a slightly different in the movie. In the movie, I think Melinda’s parents care about her more and her Mom is better in the movie. We can know that from their Christmas celebration in the movie. Also, Her Mom is being nice when she and her husband saw the report card. Also, Heather is being a little bit nice in the movie when she blow Melinda off because she asked Melinda, “Can we have a heart to heart during lunch?” But the movie just skips the whole part that Martha blamed the posters that Melinda drew and Heather did not stick up for her.
Melinda is not as bad as she was in the book. Because in the movie, it skips the part that her parents talked to counselor and principle and she does not skip/join the basketball practice too.
Another important thing that movie is different from text version is that the movie version shows the relationship between Mr. Neck and Melinda even worse. Because, Melinda talked to him individually about her grade but in text version, Mr. Neck gave a second chance to whole class in order to rise up their grade.
Valentine’s day seems not so important in the book but it is important in the movie. I think it is the climax because on this day, Melinda and hairwoman both change their hairstyle. Another difference is that Melinda opens the letter then and there in front of the locker in the movie but not in the book.
I think the director and screenwriter changed the book is because they don’t want to waste too much time, so they just put all the important part altogether. But, considering the graffiti in bathroom. I don’t quite understand why the director/screenwriter choose to let Melinda wrote, “Exchange student are ruining our country” instead of “Guy to stay away from: Andy Evans”
I think the movie changes the story worse. Because it skipped lots of detail and it foreshadow too much so that readers can predict what happened or what will happen.
I like them both. Movie can save so much time but it stops us to imagine the story. In my opinion, I think book is better. Because book is lighter than a Mac/PC, so I can carry it wherever I go and read it anytime. Also, I can look up the dictionary for every vocabulary that I don’t know.
1. In the movie version, Melinda speaks with her mom about the incident at the end but in the text version, Melinda tells her art teacher what happened in the end.
ReplyDelete2. In the movie version, Melinda was violated in a car but in text version, Melinda was violated in the backyard under a tree in the book.
3. In the movie, Rachel is the person that slaps Melinda when she catches her on the phone with the cops at the party, in the book a random kid slaps her.
I will post it later on.
There are 3 different parts between the text and movie film are these:
ReplyDelete1. In the movie version, Melinda speaks with her mom about the incident at the end but in the text version, Melinda tells her art teacher what happened in the end.
2. In the movie version, Melinda was violated in a car but in text version, Melinda was violated in the backyard under a tree in the book.
3. In the movie, Rachel is the person that slaps Melinda when she catches her on the phone with the cops at the party, in the book a random kid slaps her.
Although there are many differences aside from it, I have been chosen those one because I think these are the biggest modification.
These differences affected the story very much. I like how Melinda meets Heather in the cafeteria more in the book. Because I think it shows that Melinda wasn’t actually scared of everything, and something inside of her wanted to show. I like how Rachel slaps Melinda better. It expands everything that happened that night at the party and what is happening in the book. In the movie, I like it better that Melinda writes two things on the bathroom walls. It shows that she has opinions and feeling about Andy Evans. Actually, It shows that Andy isn’t the only thing that is messing her mind up. I like that Melinda gets raped in the grass better because it shows how Andy was drunk and just had any clue what he was doing. I think the director and screenwriter changed the book for the film because it basically hard to put anything in the film from the book because It certainly takes a long time and effort to film the movie. In my opinion, the book is better in some ways because it was more intensified and showed more symbolism. I like the book more. I did enjoy reading the story because it makes me to image what's happening in the book. The book is actually more interesting and fun. I don't really like to watch the movie because there are not many description and symbolism.
1)Melinda meet Heater on the bus.
ReplyDelete2)Melinda come to eat lunch in Art room.
3)Melinda show her afe place and many pictures of tree to Mr.Freeman.
1) Melinda pulled Rachel out and talked about she’s raped by Andy Evan which is Rachel boyfriend right now.
ReplyDelete2) It’s different because now in the movie I can the reaction of Rachel but in the book, it doesn’t tell us about the reaction of Rachel much.
3) It’s different because the reaction of the face that Rachel expressed was not say in the book.
4) Some of the parts are just long and not that important so the director didn’t put in on. Like in the chapter there is “Hall Of mirror”. In the film they didn’t even show because it was not very important.
5) I think it helps the story more because it shows the important parts of the chapter only and cut out those not important part of story.
7) To me I more prefer book, because book is the original of the film. Without book then there is no movie because they need to have book and take out the important parts of the book and make it into a movie or film. Book has more detail but movie doesn’t because movie didn’t show every single parts of the book, if they did then this movie will become a documentary film because its way too long! So the conclusion is I more prefer book. Book while reading, I can picture in my mind what’s happening now and they faces that character expressed or events that helps me think outside of the box.
8) Movie will the best for me and that is my conclusion!
Roger LCD 1
1)In the movie,Melinda meet Heather on the bus. In the movie Heather come to talk with Melinda on the bus of the first day of school. But in the text, when Melinda got on the bus some one throw the cake to Melinda.
ReplyDeleteIn the text, the first time that heather talk with Melinda is in the classroom.
2)Tn the movie,Melinda eat lunch in the art class. In the text Melinda go to eat lunch in the bathroom.
3)In the movie, Melinda show safe place and many drawing pictures of tree to Mr.Freeman. In the text Melinda only show one picture for Mr.freeman to look.
The reason that director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film is because to make the story look interesting. In the first different, they make Heather saw Melinda on the bus is to because they want Melinda and Heather to meet each other earlier. In the second different, Melinda eat lunch in the art room. They what to make Melinda and Mr.freeman to be more close to each other.The director what to make the audience to see that when Melinda have problem she always go to Mr.Freeman.In the third different,Melinda show her safe place and the pictures to Mr.Freeman. In this scene Mr.Freeman will quit his job. So the director want to make the audience to see that how much Melinda love art class,and how Mr.freeman grateful to Melinda.
In my opinion i like the movie more because it make us know the picture right away. We will also know the message that the story want us to know.
What was different?
ReplyDelete- The thing that was different when she tried to make herself not perfect.
How was it different?
- In the text version happen around the middle of the book, in the text she use cutting to make a scratch on her arm. In the movie she use like a pen or make-up to make a scratch o her lip.
Why do you think the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film?
I think the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film is because if they directly did hat the book just do it would have like a short movie because there would be only narration. But if the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film it would make the movie extend longer and more interested.
Did this help to make the story better or worse?
- In the movie, Melinda is better when she was in the book. Her parents cares Melinda more in the movie, but in the book they just didn’t care. In the movie Melinda attitude is better too. In the book Melinda was very worst.
Everyone is a different learner. Did you enjoy reading the story, and imaging the events in your head? Or, did you prefer watching the movie? Why?
- I’ve enjoy reading the story, and imaging the events in your head because it help me think a lot. It help us think what will happen so we could predict and use our imagination. Sometime we can make our own decision who will be so and so in the book or the scenes. If we watch the movie it would explain too. But the movie will not be originally, but it also describe a lot.
In your opinion, why was better, the book or the movie? Why?
- In my opinion the book is better. Even though the Melinda attitude and her parent attitude is way better than in the text. I think like that because the movie have some of the part that wasn’t the same like in the book. In the book is was more original because it was the one that the author write. The book will explain deeper than the movie because the movie use the book to start with the script. The last part would be because the book version the protagonist use the view fully like there is no one cutting to other thinking of the antagonists.
1)In the book,Melinda said hairwoman hair is cover her eyes and there is a scene that hairwoman named use 20 minute,but in movie can't see this scene.
ReplyDelete2)&3)That have some different, Andy tries to rape Melinda a second time, but in the movie he physically assaults her instead.
4)Maybe director and the screenwriter think some is untrue or they will teach the children something can not use the contents of the book.
5)I'm can't to evaluate the good and bad, but I think,they are more easy than book to understanding
7)Maybe I'm prefer watching the movie,because the movie is most easy to understanding,and they fast for over the story.
8)I think book is best,although I like the movie because that easy to understand,but the book is more detailed form this story,and the book is more clearly expression of this story,so I think book is better than movie
1. In the movie, they were more flashback but in the novel, they don't have that much of flashback.
ReplyDelete2. In the text, Melinda cut herself, but not in the movie.
3. I think the director just wanted to be different, because if its the same, people usually just watch the movie they don't bother reading the novel anymore. So the director changed some of it in the movie compare to the text. But the story were the same.
4. It helps the story better I think, so the reader could think of 2 opinion, in the movie and the novel. Because its different, it makes the reader to brainstorm more.
5. I prefer both, as i said people would have different opinion of each of them.
6. I think the book will be better, because book describes the story more detail while the movie didn't describe detail.
1. In the book, when Andy tries to rape Melinda a second time, she holds a shard of broken glass up to his neck and says "I said no," but never actually hurts him. In the movie, she uses the glass shard and throws aerosol in his eyes.
ReplyDelete2. In the book, the high school's mascot changes frequently from Trojans to Blue Devils to Tigers to Wombats to Hornets. Whereas in the film, it changes from Trojans to Hornets to Falcons and later to Wombats.
3. In the movie, Melinda meets Heather on the bus to school, whereas in the book she meets her in the auditorium.
In the movie and book, the descriptions, plot, scenes were all different. In the book Melinda has changed a lot. The orders are changed, and it makes us confused. The movie and book are totally different; it doesn’t have any sequence at all. Lots of changes between the text and the movie! The book, Melinda should meet Heather in auditorium, and Heather doesn’t talks a lot with Melinda in the book. It has lots of flashback going on the movie, but the text doesn’t. Melinda’s parent’s cares about her in the movie, but the text don’t, they blame her and it makes Melinda want to suicide. It skips too fast to the next chapter in the movie. Melinda shared her secret with her mom in the movie. The character, description have changed by the director.
I think the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film is because he/she doesn’t want to get us bored, they might think we have read the story and if we watch, the order will be the same, and it gets bored. Instead of that, the director just makes all-important screen in the movie, the major one.
In my point of view, it makes worse. Because it will get confused between the text and the movie, which means when you finished the movie, you will left a question mark on your brain. Also, the movie skips lots of screen or chapters in the book. While I was watching the movie, I found out that the movie just jump into another screen, which doesn’t make any sense for reading it. The movie did not support a lot of ideas or details.
I prefer read, it is because it gives more detail, and it support the idea clearly. And it shows the feelings while the author was writing. If you watch movie, then you would be skip a lot, and you won’t be understand the whole story, what Melinda wants to show us. Movie makes me kind of falling asleep, but the book wont, because I can imagine the picture by myself, and I can predict what will happen next. But the movie shows us the picture and also I can tell what will happen next, it is easy to know.
Hello Ms.Suzanne. My name is Jeen. Yesterday I had a chance to watch the movie “Speak”. After I had a chance to read in the book.I think there’re many differences between the book and the movie. Such as the in the book, it said that when Hair women shaved her hair but in the movie it show that she didn’t shaved her hair but she only changed her hairstyle. At first that I haven’t watch the movie yet. I visualized that Mr.Neck would be more mean and more scary than the movie. In the movie he looks nicer than the book version.And the scene where Melinda told Rachael that she got raped it was different setting than the book. I think the reason that the director and the screenwriter changed the book the film is because so they people who reads the book can imagine what is the characters look like and can the director can makes the readers can see what the main message of the story, I think it really helped the story better because the story is more fun than the book. And I think that the film is more easily understand than the book. I’m really enjoyed reading the story. The reason why I love this movie is because it has taught me many things such as think before you do something and many things. I prefer the movie more than the book because the book is really boring and hard to understand because some of the words I don’t really understand.
ReplyDelete1.In the book, Andy Evans tries to rape Melinda a second time, but in the movie he just forced Melinda to tell other people that he didn't rape her.
ReplyDelete2. In the book, when Andy trying to hurt her in the closet at the end of the story Melinda just take the glass up but not hurting him. In the movie, she throws some water to his eyes.
3. In the book have more Melinda's thoughts than the movie.
There are lot of differences between the book and the movie. Even the looks of the people that Melinda described is not like what they actually look in the movie.
example; Mr.Neck. Melinda said Mr.Neck's neck is bigger than a head but in the movie, he look like normal people. Also, when Melinda told Rachelle about what happened at the party, in the book she kept writing notes to each other. In the movie, Rachelle and Melinda went to talk outside of the library.
I think the director changed it because maybe he/she want to keep it be simple so people could understand the plot easily. The director may think that parts that he/she took out is not important and fun to put it in the movie. This make the movie worst because the little details in the book were fun and important for the people to know. The book have every Melinda's thoughts. In the movie, when they skipped some parts, it's not really connected and sometimes confused. I enjoy the movie more because we can finish it faster and we can see the characters movement by our eyes. Anyways, in my opinion, the book is still better because it makes us want to know more about it. The book let us felt like we're in that book too. I get to know more vocabulary and pictured the plot in my head. Even though, I still love both of them. It was fun and it taught me many things.
Nana LC1F
ReplyDeleteThe three differences that I noticed were:
First, in the text version they didn't talk about a career day. Second, Melinda didn't go to the shop with her mother and she didn't meet Mr. Freeman. Third, Melinda 1 and 2 didn't talk about when David was invited Melinda to eat a pizza with his father.
I think the scenes have a lot of the different things in the movie. In the movie version, they have more flashback in every scenes, such as when she was first came in her closet and brought her stuff. It showed flashback about her nightmare and we can find what IT is in the chapter named, “Nightmare”. First flashback was during Hairwomen class. It was when Melinda first met IT in the party. In the text, first marking period we don't really know who is IT. But in the movie version, we can know who is IT in these scenes. I think why the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film was because they wanted more interesting and more excitement in the movie. If they didn't change some scenes in the book for the movie, I think it would get boring to the audience. Because, we don't know that an audience might be ever read this story or ever heard this story before. However, I think the movie changed the story was better because in the movie version just showed the important parts and we don't waste too much time to read the less thing. I enjoyed reading the text more than watching the movie because I can visualization, like creating images and feeling related to the text. I think this is a good way because we can know more about the movie. We can be creative while we read the book and we will learn at the same time. In my opinion, I think the movie is better than the book because movie is fun for us and we will remember much more about the story. I think this story quite good for a teenager. It make them can go through their problem and make them think what is right or wrong. The most important thing that I read this story and I would like others to know was about if they don't speak, how do will know what's happen. So I want others to know that we must to speak.
1. What was different?
ReplyDelete• Melinda ask Mr. Neck for helping her grade
• The part that Melinda talks to Rachelle in the library the setting had been change in the movie it was place at the back school.
• Melinda just show her closet to Mr. Freeman
2. How was it different?
• How was it different in the part that Melinda talk to Rachelle at the library it that. During the “Novel” it said that Melinda was talking or sending note to Rachelle at the library, which it was different from the book by changing setting. It change library to the school backyard. Which it change because it would me must more interesting than talking in the library and end without emotion. So it might be grateful to make the movie more interesting and have more emotion.
3. Why do you think the director and the screenwriter changed the book for the film?
• Usually if I was a director I would also change or make a different from the book because in the way that it make the audience seem more interesting than the book does. Which the audience would enjoy the story in the movie much more than the book. By the way director doesn’t want the movie to seem bored so he might change some part to make it seem better and interesting. But director doesn’t usually change that much.
4. Did this help to make the story better or worse?
• I think that the change of the novel into a movie it would be more better because how it make more interesting or make most of the word clearly which it would make the audience more understand the novel by watching the movie.
Finally...
7. Everyone is a different learner. Did you enjoy reading the story, and imaging the events in your head? Or, did you prefer watching the movie? Why?
• I prefer that to watch a movie it more better than reading the novel
8. In your opinion, why was better, the book or the movie? Why?
• My opinion the movie is more better because the way director make the movie it make me enjoy it and make it more interest and also I understand make about it. By the way if we read the book, it would make we felt sleepy or bored which it could make us doesn’t want to read it or doesn’t make use understand. But the book so gave us more detail than the movie which it have deeper mean. Perhaps it usually was both of movie and novel was better.
Hi, I’m Grace.
ReplyDeleteAlthough the movie version and the novel version are both talking same thing. There’re still a lots of differences between them. For example, in the movie, there’re are more flashbacks. The novel version has only one flashback in the end of the marking period 3. I think having more flashbacks is better than having one. Because in the movie, we can’t read the character's thoughts, so we can’t visualize. We need to see what we’d see to understand what’s going on. In the movie, many things had changed the order. For example, during the last day of school of Melinda’s, David invited Melinda to his party. But in the book version, he invited Melinda BEFORE the last of school. Also, in the novel version, Melinda considered a lot whether going to the party or not. Because she had a bad experience of party before. But in the movie version, she didn’t even consider about it. She readily said OK to David. Another is main difference between the movie version and the novel version is that in the movie version, Melinda’s relationship between her parents is better in the novel version. In the movie version, during the halloween, they don’t have the part that Melinda’s parents are arguing. In the movie, Melinda also told the whole story of she was being raped to her mother. In the novel version, Melinda’s relationship between Mr. Freeman is better. She told her story instead of telling her parents. The movie version also cut out many scenes about how Melinda and Ivy are getting better.
In conclusion, I think that the book version is better than movie version. The movie version cut out too many scenes. They cut out my favorite scene in the novel, how other girls think about Andy. In the novel version, Melinda wroteThe Guy That We Need To Stay Away:Andy on the wall of the bathroom. Many girls had responded that they agreed with Melinda.
*****Ms. Suzanne, I apologize that I post this blog late. Yesterday, I had music concert, and so I came back home late, about 10.30. When I got home, there’s some internet connection problem....I’m sorry. Please don’t give me zero to this one!
I think "Speak" is a very good story because it shows me how life goes on of a silent pity girl. It’s about one girl, she was joining the party with many best friends but unfortunately she met a guy and he raped her, so she sneaked to call the police and made the party ruined. All her best friends hated her very much and that’s the effect why she didn’t tell anybody about what happened to her, so they would never know forever and they never be friends anymore. Why didn’t she tell anybody? Now she was very lonely and sad. How could she solve this problem?
ReplyDeleteFortunately there was an art teacher, he had the same problems too, she became close to him. First she could not even draw the tree but this art teacher was very nice to her, he taught her stepped by stepped and now she became very good at arts. So she felt warmer and tried to open her heart, she made her mind to tell her best friends by writing and finally they knew the truth and did not hate her anymore.
This story really attract me, I never watch this kind of movie before, the character was awesome! She was always calm even the terrible happened but sometimes she’s too silent is bad for her. But anyway I can learn how to calm down from her!
***Sorry! I published it too late, yesterday evening i had a very late math class and today i went to study at my old school whole day. Please forgive me, i'm so sorry.