"I watch myself in the mirror across the room. Ugh. My hair is completely hidden under the comforter. I look for shapes in my face. Could I put a face in my three, like a dryad from Greek mythology? Two muddy-circle eyes under black-dash eyebrows, piggy-nose nostrils, and a chewed-up horror of a mouth. Definitely not a dryad face. I can't stop biting my lips. It looks like my mouth belongs to someone else, someone I don't even know.
I get out of bed and take down the mirror. I put it in the back of my closet, facing the wall."
- "Speak" p. 16-7
Please take some time to respond to the questions, using Melinda's description as a model and guide.
1. What do you think of Melinda when you read this?
2. What do you use the mirror for?
3. Where is the mirror in your room?
4. Do you like to look in the mirror? Why or why not?
5. Describe your face as you see it in the mirror. Melinda uses colorful adjectives; you must do the same. You cannot use any basic adjectives, for example : good/small/big.
Minimum 20 sentences. Grammar and Spelling should be correct because you should type it and save it in Microsoft Word first. Due: Monday, February 13.
Minimum 20 sentences. Grammar and Spelling should be correct because you should type it and save it in Microsoft Word first. Due: Monday, February 13.
Nana, LC1F
ReplyDelete1. From reading this paragraph, I think Melinda likes to bite her lips and she cannot stop biting her lips. She doesn’t like the way she looks or maybe she just woke up so she feels bad about herself. She thinks that her face can be put in a tree, like a dryad the god that nymph inhabiting a forest. Since she put her mirror down because she doesn’t want to look at herself anymore.
2. I like to use the mirror. I use the mirror everyday, like when I am in my bathroom or I am preparing to go outside the house. I use it to make sure my clothes look good. I use the mirror to check my face to see if there’s something wrong. I also use it to check when I go to a party or a school assembly and see whether my makeup is good or bad.
3. Melinda had the mirror across her room but I have two mirrors across my room. I like to have mirrors in my room because it can reflect light and create new dimensions in space.
4. That’s an interesting question. Do you like to look in the mirror? Reflection is the most important function of the mirror. I can know myself from the mirror. When I look at the mirror I will know if I look good or bad. I can also realize what other people will think of me and how I think of myself.
5. “I go to my bathroom, see me in the mirror and see how close I can get my face to the surface of the mirror before I focus on the image of my face. I look for shapes in my face. Could I put a face in a moon, like the Dreamwork animation, when the movie starts? The color of my almond-shaped eyes are brown like wood. My cheeks are like mammoth coins and I’ve got an itty-bitty mouth.”
Bye bye .__.
I think Melinda has no confident about her own appearance. Normally, I used mirror to see if my uniform is tidy, my hair is not a mess, and I don't look sleepy. I don’t have any mirror in my room, but I do have a portable mirror in my drawer. But I rarely use it unless my mouth was injured or my tooth is hurt. Actually, there are lots of mirror in my house, so I don’t put mirror my own room but a portable mirror.
ReplyDeleteI don’t dress up or make up so I do not look in the mirror often. I don’t like it but I don’t hate it either. I know that I am not a movie star who has nice face that needs to care about their appearance because that’s what they earn money from. I am just a student so I think I do not need to spend too much times on looking in the mirror because we cannot change our appearance since we were born except doing plastic surgery.
I have a round face with short hair. Whenever I watch myself in the mirror, the first things I see are always my eyes. My eyes are not like those kinds of eyes that dolls have, they are not very big but not very small. And I don't know why I have dark rings around my eyes even I have enough sleep. Above my eyes were my bushy eyebrows. The most obvious feature that I have is the birthmark on left side on my face. I also have a flat nose, which I don’t like it; I wish that I had a nose that looks like what celebrities have. Despite of that, I am glad that I don’t have lots of acnes or pimples on my face. And I wish that I were taller when I looked at myself.
No man is perfect. So, I think maybe I should be satisfied with what I have. At least we were not born with defective organs, eyesight, or hearing.
Jimmy, LC1D
ReplyDeleteIn my opinions, I think Melinda feels upset and nervous after she goes to school. Becasue she haven't met any new friends, and her old friends tease her so that's why she feels in this way. Another possible reason is that she can't stop biting her lips and feel bad about herself becasue She hates or look down on herself after she goes to school. I think she is basically differdant about her appearance in school. Since she puts her mirror away because she doesn’t want to look at herself again. Mirror is actually my best friend, and i often use it. I usually use mirror after i finish showering and perparing go outside og my house. I want to confirm that my clothes and hair style are alright but i don't use mirror like most of the girls becasue i don't dress up or make up so i have just bought a portable mirror. I just want to make sure my looking is ok, and give people a good impression. Anyways, mirrors is awesome! Medlinda has the mirror across her romm but i have just got a portable mirror and put it beside my table. I dont often use mirrors so i dont need a gorgeous mirror like Medlinda. I don't really like to look in the mirror becasue i don't really like to dress up and make up. Although i don't like to do those things but i never hate it as well. I know that i am not a famous guy or sinnger who need to meet many people every day so i don't really need to care about my face and appearance. I just do the things that a student need to do. I see the face that carries features of my mom, and dad, and sister, and brother, and grandparents, and cousins. I have my mom’s eyes, hazel-brown. My dad’s forehead , mom’s nose and cheeks, dad’s chin and jaw. And my ears. I see my eyes when i look at the mirror in the first time. My eyes are kinda big but not like the kinds of eyes that dolls have. I always have dark circle even though i have enough sleep. My nose are not so pretty so i hope i can get a new one which are tall and nice. Well, there are a lot of things that are not perfect on my face. I realize no body is perfect. So, i think i should be happy with i have. At least, i can see, hear and speak. I mean that's life.
Fanny, LC1F
ReplyDeleteI think Melinda is going through her daily routine and she looks at herself in the mirror and her instant reaction is to be disgusted at her appearance. Despite this she looks for a shape in her face that will please her. She sees her feature as being ugly and pig like. She is particularly unhappy about her shape of the mouth. I use the mirror to make sure I got my hair the way I like it, and I make sure my face is dry once I have washed it. And I can make sure my clothes are straight before I leave.
I have a mirror in my bathroom and bedroom that are just for me to use. I used to see myself in the mirror, because there are mirrors all over my house.
I look in the mirror once or twice a day, just enough to make sure that I am well presented. I find my mirror extremely useful because I am no good at putting my contact lens in it. I don’t use mirror to make up, because I don’t really like it, it make myself more uglier.
The girl in the mirror is unmistakably Chinese, and now I am sporting American smile or film star smile after my orthodontics. I have a deep brown hair that is close to the color of my eyes. Also my hair is back half way my back and I wonder if I should be brave and cut my hair into a bob. Finger crossed my skin is staying clear and not pimply. I have avoided the pimples but when I smile I show my dimples. I am not sure what family member I take after; I think I am a mix of both my mom and my dad. I got a soft features and not to sharp but not to round. There is no make up on my lips but its quite large full lip. I got a tiny nose, it’s only just big enough to hold my glasses and also that looks like a pig.
Compare to Melinda, I am happy with the girl that I see in the mirror everyday, and I hope I will always feel like that!
Melinda is very lazy, and she doesn’t like to make herself look better. This short description told me that this is what Melinda everyday looks like. In the morning her looks and what she did every morning. Later she put her mirror down and didn’t look at it again.
ReplyDeleteShe uses her mirror everyday, and find out how she looks in the morning. Every morning after getting down of my bed. I’ll always go straight to my toilet and fix my hair by looking at the mirror, like what she did. Sometime when I’m outside at central, I’ll always bring a small mirror with me so I can check if my hair looks good or not. The reason why I did this because I want to look good in front of everybody, and everybody wants this isn’t?
The mirror in my room is usually place in the toilet. After shower you will want to dry your hair and make some cool hair style isn’t it? Sometime when you want to put gel on your hair, you will need a mirror right? So you will know what kind of style you want.
I like to use the mirror because I can look myself in the mirror and fix my hair and look myself everyday. When you look at the mirror, you can know how you look and you can be like self obsess.
When I look myself in the mirror, I see a big red nose like I had a running nose already. Long black hair, and sexy eye balls. The most sexy part of body will be my sexy muscle, when I look at it in my mirror. I tried not to fall on myself because it’s just too sexy and attractive. I also have a long arm and shoulder because I played too much of basketball in my life and it helped me grow wider and which is better because it help me looks stronger and healthy
I think Melinda has no confident about her own self. Usually I used mirror to see if my uniform is tidy, my hair whether is messy or not, and I don't look sleepy, but actually I am. I have a mirror in my room, so i used it to look at my appearance. Actually, there’s a lot of mirror in my house.
ReplyDeleteI don’t dress up or make up,cause I’m boy. I know that I am not a superstar or something else and needs to have nice face that needs to care about their appearance.I am just a student, so I think that I do not need to spend too much money or times on looking in the mirror because we cannot change our appearance since we were born this way.
I have a round face with short hair. Whenever I watch myself in the mirror, the first things I see are always my nose. My nose is not big or small, it’s just a normal nose. And I don't know why I have panda eyes, while I have enough sleep everyday. Above my eyes were my bushy eyebrows. The most obvious feature that I have is the birthmark on right side on my face. Despite of that, I dont have pimples on my face like others people did. And I wish that I were taller when I looked at myself.
I think that everyone need to be satisfied what they have now, because if you’re not satisfied what you have now. Your life in the future should be very difficult.
When I read this paragraph, the thing that I think of Melinda was she has no confident to go to school. She always think that everyday was so horrible for her. She don’t want to go to school. Usually we would make us look perfect in the mirror but Melinda was only judge herself in front of the mirror.
ReplyDeleteIf someone asked me “What do you use the mirror for?”. I would tell them that I use it for my appearance for example I use it for looking at my face. I use to look at my face in the mirror because sometime I think that in that in the mirror wasn’t who I am. I think that I know myself well already but the truth is I kept finding more and more that I would realize that the person in the mirror is just me.
The place that I use to put my mirror is near the closet and in the bathroom. I put the mirror near the closet because to look that what we wear weren’t looking weird. I put my mirror in the bathroom is because I can look my face. Sometimes mirror are useful too.
I do not like to look in the mirror. I do not like to look in the mirror because sometime my face was very lazy and I don’t want to see it. I do not want to see my face because sometime it feel that my face have a tired face it make me feel tired a lot. I do not want to see the reflection of my face.
My face was not perfect. I have a eyes shape-like a deer. I have black shadowing below my eyes. I have a messy hair now.
I think she kind of scare of her self or maybe someone will know the truth. She looks like a psycho. She didn’t tell anyone what happened to her in the school. And when her parents asked her how was school, she always said fine. I always use the mirror for look at my face. And sometimes look at if there is pimple on my face? And when I went out to hangout with friends I always look at the mirror before I walk out. But in the night time, I never use the mirror. Because there was someone said that if you look at the mirror at night there would be a ghost will appear behind you. Which really made me scared every time I look at the mirror.My mirror is in my bathroom.And another one right behind my bed.Well sometimes I really like mirror and sometimes I don’t like it at all. I just told you why I dislike the mirror especially when the night time it’s make me freaked out every time at night. Mirror makes me see me what I looks like. What if there is no window, you can’t see yourself and what you look like.And I’ve heard there’re a disease that is people scared to see them self in the mirror.They said that there’re another world in the mirror.Which I think it’s really stupid. When I see myself in the mirror I saw a handsome face that is very tall,but my face is a bit dark.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion i think that Melinda was very upset and she don't to go to school. She always think that everyday was so horrible. She might have problems with friends. When she come home, maybe her parents don't have time for her. Most teenager likes to look at the mirror, they like to check their beauty, but Melinda not. Usually we use the mirror for look how beautiful we are. In my room i have one mirror in the bathroom and another beside my bookcase. Mirror some times useful but sometimes also hurt you. I do not like to look at the mirror. Someone saids that if we look at the mirror too much it not good. We will check our face mistake. Sometimes you will thinks that your nose were not beautiful, or your mouth should be thiner. Some people will go to plastic surely. It waste of money! Sometimes if you don't have enough money for plastic surely, you will go to the bad doctor. The doctor will put bad kind things into your face. Your face will be worse than before. Today is February 13 2012, i found a girl in a mirror. She have long hair, i love her hair color it was deep brown. She have black shadowing below her eyes. But when i look into her eyes, i found the sadness in their. Her eyes looks very sad. Maybe she in the bad mood
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this, I think Melinda has no confident. I think she’s so upset about herself. Her friends don’t like her and even in this description I felt like she doesn’t really like herself too. We can see that she doesn’t want to look herself when she said that she take the mirror down and put it back to the closet, face to the wall. It seems like she is using the mirror to reflect herself in the past. Every times she looked at this, she will hate herself even more because it shows that she thought herself is belonged to someone she doesn’t know.
ReplyDeleteI use the mirror to look at myself. How do I look today? It’s like normal people used the mirror for. Another thing is that I used it for reading the words that are backwards written to know what they are trying to say. My mirror in the bedroom was located left side turned across my bed. I don’t really moved it except it’s dirty and need to clean up. I like to look in the mirror. There are many reasons why I like to look in the mirror. For examples, to see how I looked like, to see something at the back by not turning back. Sometimes my friends is at the back of me and I want to talk to them I just talked to them by looking at the mirror instead. Mirror made me see the reflection of myself. I can see myself when I’m sad, happy, frustrated, or even crying... Some of the people have no one to release their feeling, they just talk to themselves in the mirror, and sometimes I did it too and then the long hair, scary white face girl suddenly appear! No, I’m just kidding.
When I look into the mirror, the first thing I see is a black crystal clear eyeball with white surrender with another myself inside of it. My light eyebrows appear, the petite pink-red lips. My hair is brownish-black and a bit curly. What I’m upset is my eyes come from China because they have black shadowing below my eyes like Panda. But whatever I’m still proud of who I am.
Hi, I'm Fluke
ReplyDelete1. What do you think of Melinda when you read this?
Ans: I think that she might been disappoint about herself because she was hurting herself by bit her lip
2. What do you use the mirror for?
Ans: I use the mirror for, to look how my face look like today, how bad it is or good it is.
3. Where is the mirror in your room?
Ans: My mirror was in my bathroom usually I don’t have it in my bedroom.
4. Do you like to look in the mirror? Why or why not?
Ans: I usually like to look in the mirror sometime when I was disappointed about something, but it not usually everyday.
5. Describe your face as you see it in the mirror. Melinda uses colorful adjectives; you must do the same. You cannot use any basic adjectives, for example: good/small/big.
Ans: When I usually use the mirror is when on the morning and at night because I was looking at my face everyday. When I was looking at me in the mirror. My face was not that handsome that you were thinking at. My face was round but not that round it kindly sharp on my chin. My eye isn’t that big like other boy. It was small. When I was smiling you couldn’t see my eye cause to very small. My nose it was normal not to big and not to small. My mouth was a bit big 5555. My sister always teasing me, also tell joke about my mouth that was big. Before I face usually doesn’t have lot of pimple. But now am age of 15, so there will been a lot of pimple over this time. My under eye it kindly black because it black when I sleep late every day so it start getting black and black, it would become a panda. Before I have lot of hair like Justin. But now that more fewer than before because I had been cut my hair so it shorter than before, but it still looks good for me. My teeth were not that white, actually people don’t have white teeth. The color of was face was a bit brown. Because I usually played soccer every day, so I got a brown skin. That all about my face, How cool is it huh?
Hi I am Jaewoo
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this, I felt that she must be a very desperate person. It’s look like she is going to kill her self at any moment. I use the mirror when I want to know how I look with new cloth or when I have my new hairstyle. Some time I use mirror to see if I have any mark on my cloth too or not. In my room I have a mirror near my bed. I also have another one in front of the sink in my toilet. I like to look at the mirror some time, and some time I don’t like it. I like it because it tells me how I look in other people eyes. When I look at my self in the mirror I am also not satisfied. I have quite a few marks on my face. I also have a scar near my mouth too. My eyes are dark brown similar to a deer eyes. My lips are a bit big like a pink sweet potato. My ears are like a butterfly wing. My lip dry like crack dirt. My hair look like a soft black and high quality fur.
What I think of Melinda is crazy. She doesn’t even like her own face. She thought her mouth belongs to someone else. She thinks that her own face is very ugly so she put the mirror in the closet. I use the mirror for checking my hair that if it looks good or not. And looking to my own face if I have a pimple or not. My mirror is beside my bed. Where I put all my lotions, hair wax, deodorant and more. And I have another big mirror beside the mirror I mention before. I don’t like to look in the mirror because I’m not that handsome. And I don’t like to stair at the mirror for a long time because it creeps me out. I saw a huge and red pimple. Asian small eyes and etc.
ReplyDeleteMelinda looked at her own reflection in the mirror and thought that she looked awful. This shows that Melinda is a girl who is not confident with herself. She thinks that nothing seems right for her. I use the mirror daily to check on myself. I check on myself each time when I get out of the shower to put on some lotion. I also check on myself every time before I leave the house to make sure nothing’s on my face. I do this every time without being tired, because I want myself to be in a okay-mood, a face that no one will think it’s strange. I don’t want myself to be in a state that always let people to laugh at me. My mirror is located on the wall right beside my bathroom. There’s a table right underneath it. Having a table right underneath the mirror makes my life easier. I can pick up combs to adjust my hair whenever I want to. I don’t really like to look myself in the mirror. Because I think that this is the face that my parents had given me, looking into the mirror wouldn’t change anything. But when it’s time that I need to go out, I will look into the mirror for a while. I’m not the kind of person who will waste a whole hour looking at their own reflection in the mirror. I will just take a few minutes to adjust myself a little. When I look in the reflection of the mirror, I saw a round face with black colored eyes. The person that is on the mirror wears glasses, she has a medium length hair. This person has some panda eyes, and always looks sleepy, she needs to have more time to sleep!
ReplyDeleteI think that Melinda doesn’t have any confident with her looking. She thinks that she is ugly. She thinks that her mouth belongs to others..loll? When she woke up in the morning, she feels bad about her own already. She puts the mirror down because she don't want to look at herself, because she thinks that she is ugly. I use mirror to look at myself, am I ready to school with shirts tide. I didn’t use mirror everyday, but sometimes I use it. I have a big mirror(like a door) inside of it its my closet.I think using a mirror is for girls, because they use it for making up themselves. My eyes is not round and big like korean singer. my eyes is round but not big. My nose is big (I think) and my face round. My mouth is small but i eat a lot of food, my mouth can fit a lot of food. I look at my body too( with shirts) whether Im handsome or not. :P I think I look at the mirror cant change my appearance.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion, I think Melinda feels upset and nervous after she goes to school. Because she hasn't met any new friends, and her old friends tease her so that's why she feels this way. Another possible reason is that she can't stop biting her lips and feel bad about herself because She hates or look down on herself after she goes to school. I think she is basically diffident about her appearance in school. She puts her mirror away because she doesn’t want to look at herself again. My mirror is actually my best friend, and i often use it. I usually use my mirror after i finish showering and preparing go outside of my house. I want to confirm that my clothes and hair style are alright but i don't use mirror like most of the girls because i don't dress up or make up so i have just bought a portable mirror. I just want to make sure my looking is ok, and give people a good impression. Anyway, mirrors is awesome! Melinda has the mirror across her room but i have just got a portable mirror and put it beside my table. I don't often use mirrors so i don't need a gorgeous mirror like Melinda. I don't really like to look in the mirror because i don't really like to dress up and use make up. Although i don't like to do those things, i don't hate it either. I know that i am not a famous guy or singer who needs to meet many people every day so i don't really need to care about my face and appearance. I just do the things that a student need to do. I see the face that carries features of my mom, and dad, and sister, and brother, and grandparents, and cousins. I have my mom’s eyes, hazel-brown. My dad’s forehead, mom’s nose, cheeks and dad’s chin, jaw and my ears. I see my eyes when i look at the mirror the first time. My eyes are kind of big but not like the kind of eyes that dolls have. I always have dark circles even though i have enough sleep. My nose are not so pretty so i hope i can get a new one which are tall and nice. Well, there are a lot of things that are not perfect on my face. I realize no body is perfect. So, i think i should be happy with i have. At least, i can see, hear and speak. I mean that's life.
ReplyDelete